Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Beginning of Something New- Ark Community Charter School





    This is my first week at the Art Community Charter School! I am working with a great elementary art teacher named Ms. Helen. So far it has been exciting and I have been picking up some great ideas from her. Having many years of experience with younger children, this placement seems to come very natural to me. Although I am adjusting to the different culture and class size. All my classes have 10 students in each, and the students are in grades kindergarten and 1st.....but you cant let the young age fool you because these students have developed some big personalities already!
    One thing that I have learned from being at the Ark is that the students really enjoy working with me! I get hugs and compliments every class. The students really know how to cheer you up and no matter how wild they get in the classroom, you have to smile. I realized that most of them just act out because they want my attention. Instead of scolding them like most teachers, I just give them my attention. I realized that some of the more misbehaved students really just want me all to themselves. When I work with them they surprise me with the most intelligent conversations, and beautiful art work. I rather give my students a chance rather than constantly put them in the time out. Giving them more attention is really beneficial and they really are glad that I care!  
    I also have learned that directions, and repeating and repeating is very important. Directions must be given with every single step....even explaining how to roll up a glue stick and how to put it on the paper. If you are not specific with what you want out of them, then you are asking for trouble.
 
       Below here is images of the kindergarten students work. After being read "The Little Red Car," the students had to draw places of where they wanted to go. It was funny to see that most of them wanted to go to the city, beach, Disney Land, and space. The students then had to take a toy car and drive from one place to another in order to make their trip. On the last day we all sat in a circle on the floor and had to tell each other where we were going and what kind of roads we were on. It was interesting to see that students can have such struggles just to tell their stories. I thought this was a great exercise and it helped the students talk about their work at such an early age! When we were finished we got to all dance to the "Car Wash" song, and I could not stop laughing!!! My students are the cutest and greatest dancers!!! They would even call me out if I stopped dancing. So if you ever enter my class, make sure you are ready to dance! 
  


 
    In my 1st grade classes, the students were finishing up on their quilt that was inspired by Amenia Robinson and Faith Ringgold. This quilt was so great and all that is left to finish is the text the students are putting on it. The students came up with words to put on it after reading a Martin Luther King book. I'm just amazed that the students this young can make something this beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment