Saturday, October 6, 2012

Drawing and Ceramics class




 


             Today in my drawing class, my students finished working on shading and contrast. After the work was hung up and the students could stand back and see the contrast. Mrs. Valenti told the students that if they were not happy with the contrast in their work, they could still work on it to receive a better grade.  I thought that was great that the students have the opportunity to rework on their names images because sometimes you do not really see how your work looks until it is farther away. The students are also responsible to complete the images of their crumpled paper bags by the end of the month. Some of the student already completed their drawings and they look great. I told the students that if they squint they can see the values and shapes in the paper bag much more easily. So far Mrs. Valenti and I have had a great turn out.


 
           Next in the drawing/painting class, the students started to read an article about George Seurat. The students were expected to learn the importance of his impressionistic markings and bright colors.  Once the class finished that article, they were free to work in groups to make an impressionistic drawing with oil pastels on large sheets of tan paper. So far the students work looks great.
 
 
 

         I walked around and asked each group what they were trying to create. I had some self-portraits, landscapes, and some surrealistic settings. I mainly helped the students with blending and taught them how to keep layering colors.

___________________________________________________________________________


     Later, I decided to learn about ceramics in Mrs.Wager’s class. It this class the students were making rattle heads. I could not believe the amount of skill these students had at 10th grade.

       I also noticed that Mrs.Wager teaching strategies were much more different than Mrs.Valenti. I was happy to learn different teaching approaches from another teacher and how the students react.  I also really liked seeing how involved students become when they are working with clay. It is a very great medium to work with.


No comments:

Post a Comment